Longhorn cattle are a breed of cattle that are known for their characteristic long horns. Longhorns are raised throughout the US, and many breeders sell these animals. If you’re interested in buying Longhorn cattle, or if you want to find a reputable breeder near you, then read on! In this blog post, I will discuss where to find Texas Longhorn cattle for sale and how to choose a reputable breeder.
The Symbol of Texas
Texas Longhorn cattle are one of the most iconic symbols of the state of Texas. These hardy cattle were first brought to the Americas by Spanish settlers in the 1600s, and they quickly became well-adapted to the climate and terrain of their new home.
Longhorns were used extensively by both Native Americans and European settlers, and they played a key role in the development of the American West.
Today, Longhorns are still revered for their unique appearance, and they continue to play an important role in Texas culture.
Choosing the Right Longhorn Cattle Breeder
Longhorn cattle are an important investment, that is why it is crucial to choose a reputable breeder. A good breeder will be able to provide you with all the information you need about the animals, including their lineage, health history, and temperament.
The breeder must be a member of TLBAA (Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America), which is a nonprofit organization founded in 1964 to promote, protect, and preserve the Texas Longhorn breed.
There are other things you want to look for when choosing a breeder.
When looking for a Longhorn breeder, it is important to find someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in raising these animals. The breeder should be able to answer any questions you have about Longhorns, and they should be willing to provide references from previous buyers.
It is also important to make sure that the breeder follows all animal welfare regulations.
Furthermore, a reputable breeder will be transparent about their prices and practices, and they will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
A good breeder will also stand behind their animals, and they will be available to help if you have any problems after you take your cattle home.
When it comes to finding Texas Longhorn cattle for sale, taking the time to find a reputable breeder is always worth the effort.
Texas Longhorn Price
So, how much does Texas Longhorn cost? Texas Longhorns typically sell for between $500 and $6,000 per head, making them one of the least expensive breeds of cattle. However, their value often depends on the specific bloodline and genetics of the individual animal.
For example, animals with particularly desirable traits may fetch a higher price, while those with less desirable traits may sell for less.
Moreover, prices for Longhorn cattle can vary depending on the animal’s age, gender, horns, and breeder.
A young Longhorn bull with good horns can sell for $3,000 and more, while an older cow might only bring $1,000. If you’re interested in purchasing a Texas Longhorn, be sure to compare prices before making a purchase.
Texas Longhorn Cattle for Sale
Here is a list of the most reputable breeders where you can find Leghorn cattle for sale:
Blue Ridge Longhorns
If you are looking for Longhorn cattle for sale in Texas, Blue Ridge Longhorns is a good place to start.
The ranch is located in the beautiful northern Hill Country of Texas, and they offer some of the finest Longhorn cattle for sale in the US. All of their animals are registered with TLBAA.
Address: 1128 CR 312 (PO Box 445), Llano, TX 78643
Phone: (713) 398-5024
Hacienda PBT is located just outside of Edna, Texas, and they are well-known for their high-quality Longhorn cattle. All of their animals are registered, and they offer a wide variety of colors and markings.
Address: PO Box 44, 1034 Private Road 1501 Edna, TX 77957
Phone: (281) 989-6079, (281) 441-8657
Red Peak Ranch
If you are looking for quality Longhorn cattle, Red Peak Ranch is a great place to start your search. Red Peak Ranch selects only the finest Longhorn cattle to sell with solid, proven pedigrees.
Address: 3620 Lakeside Drive, Rockwall, TX 75087
Phone: (972) 489-3832, (972) 480-8383
Tio Benito Longhorns
Tio Benito Longhorns is a family owned business that has been breeding and selling registered Texas longhorns since 2008.
Address: 14702 Red River Drive, Corpus Christi, Tx 78410
Phone: (361) 813-3130
Bull Creek Ranch
You know that you can trust Bull Creek Longhorns to provide you with high-quality registered Texas Longhorn cattle when you see that they’ve won the 2019 Breeder of the Year award.
Address: 1073 Bull Creek Rd. Fayetteville, TX 78940
Phone: (979) 249-4255, (956) 793-5484
NS Horns is a small family-owned ranch in Alabama, which specializes in breeding Longhorns on the back of a solid foundation of excellent genetics.
Address: 3945 Robert C Ham Road, Montgomery, AL 36108
Phone: (334) 372-2887
Bar H Ranch
If you’re searching for Texas Longhorns for sale in California, Bar H Ranch is the place to go. It’s been operating for many years.
Address: 2101 Maple Privado, Ontario, CA 91761
Rocky Mountain Longhorns
Located North East of Colorado Springs, Rocky Mountain, offers world-class registered Texas Longhorn bulls, cows, heifers or calves for sale.
Address: 4662 E Willow Creek Rd, Castle Rock , CO 80104
Phone: 303-500-9465, 303-963-5350, 303-663-7841
Terry King’s Longhorn Cattle
For Longhorn cattle for sale in Florida, you may reach Terry and Tammy King, registered breeders and members of TLBAA.
Address: 1955 Sherwood Lane, Westville , FL 32464-5007
Phone: (850) 956-4154
CedarView Ranch, with over 20 years of breeding and rearing Texas Longhorns, is located in Pittsburg, Kansas. If you do buy cattle from them, they’ll work with you on your longhorn journey.
Address: 342 E. 590th Ave. Pittsburg, KS 66762-8686
Phone: (620) 724-6630
Cote Cattle Company
Cote Cattle Company is located in Granby, Massachusetts, and is pleased to be a registered Texas Longhorn breeder and beef producer in the State of Massachusetts.
Address: 236 Batchelor Street, Granby MA 01033
Phone: (413) 519-3657, (413) 531-0647
Hubbell’s Longhorns have been in the business of farming for over six generations and have been raising Longhorns for almost 30 years. So if you’re searching for Texas Longhorn cattle for sale in Michigan, make sure to give them a call. You won’t be disappointed!
Address: 4900 SM 43 Highway
Phone: (269) 838-3083, Hastings, MI 49058
Lodge Creek Longhorns
Lodge Creek Longhorns is an old family farm located in Montana, just a few miles from the Canada border, and it promises to provide you with the greatest Longhorn cattle bloodlines.
Address: Havre, MT 59501
Phone: (406) 231-8716, (406) 460-0504
Longhorn cattle for sale in Oklahoma is available through 4B Longhorns. They also provide high-quality beef from their free range cattle, in addition to cattle.
Address: 7056 Hackberry Court, Tulsa, OK 74132
Phone: (281) 793-5622
Located in Harper, Oregon, CR Longhorns offers registered Longhorn bulls, cows, and heifers for sale.
Address: 3122 Harper Westfall Road, Harper, OR 97906
Phone: (541) 358-8787, (805) 300-4617
A & S Land & Cattle
A & S Land & Cattle is another farm based in Oregon, with a herd of around 50 registered Longhorns.
Address: 17205 Northeast Fairview Drive, Dundee, OR 97115
Phone: (503) 572-5656
Roper’s Ranch is a relatively new farm in Tennessee, but it has one of the finest Longhorn herds in the nation, with bloodlines from some of the best cattle in the country.
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Phone: (615) 788-2831
What is the history of Texas Longhorn cattle? Texas Longhorns are descended from Spanish cattle brought to the Americas by explorers and settlers. They played a crucial role in the development of the cattle industry in Texas during the 19th century.
2. What makes Texas Longhorn cattle distinctive in appearance? Texas Longhorns are known for their iconic long, curved horns that can extend up to several feet in length. They have a lean and agile build with a wide range of coat colors and patterns.
3. How do Texas Longhorns adapt to harsh environments? Texas Longhorns are exceptionally hardy and well-suited to survive in challenging conditions, including hot and arid climates. Their ability to find food and water in rough terrain contributed to their historical significance.
4. Are Texas Longhorns used primarily for beef production? While they were historically used for their beef, today Texas Longhorns are often raised for both beef production and as heritage livestock, appreciated for their historical and aesthetic value.
5. What role do Texas Longhorns play in conservation efforts? Texas Longhorns are considered a heritage breed and are valued for their genetic diversity. They contribute to preserving genetic traits that can be useful for sustainable agriculture and environmental adaptation.
6. How do Texas Longhorns compare to modern beef cattle in terms of meat production? Texas Longhorn meat is leaner compared to modern beef cattle breeds. However, their meat is prized for its unique flavor and is often considered a delicacy.
7. Are Texas Longhorns known for their docile temperament? Texas Longhorns are generally known for their gentle and calm temperament, making them manageable and easier to handle.
8. Do Texas Longhorns require special care or management? While they are hardy, Texas Longhorns, like any cattle breed, require proper care, nutrition, and management to ensure their health and well-being.
9. Are Texas Longhorns used in rodeos or other events? Yes, Texas Longhorns are sometimes featured in rodeos, parades, and other events as a representation of Western heritage and culture.
10. How do you register Texas Longhorn cattle and maintain breed purity? Texas Longhorns can be registered with breed associations that ensure pedigree documentation and promote breed purity. Maintaining genetic diversity while preserving historical traits is a key goal.
11. Are there differences between Texas Longhorn cattle and other cattle breeds in terms of calving ease? Texas Longhorns are known for their relatively easy calving due to their smaller birth weights and the adaptation of their bodies to natural conditions.
12. What role did Texas Longhorns play in the cattle drives of the 19th century? Texas Longhorns were the primary breed driven in cattle trails during the late 1800s, helping to supply beef to growing populations and markets.
Longhorns make an excellent investment because they’re hardy animals with a reputation that precedes them- so choose wisely when looking into where to buy Longhorn cattle or get more information on how to raise these majestic creatures.
If all this sounds like too much work, it’s worth investing your time into finding a reliable breeder rather than buying from someone new to the Longhorn cattle business.
Good luck with starting your very own Longhorn herd.
Happy herding! 🙂
The Best Dewormer for Beef and Dairy Cattle
Safe-Guard Dewormer Suspension
The best dewormer for beef and diary cattle and goats is a must have for giardia and deworming. It is highly economical! You can find it right here on Amazon.